Winter has finally arrived in Delhi, much to the delight to the Delhi Knitters. There is a definite nip in the air and its time to don your woolens. It is, also, time to get as much knitting done as possible. Because winter will be gone from Delhi before you know it.
Let’s hurry now.
So, presenting before you: a Leg Warmer that I had knit last year.
Since I wanted to make this extra warm, I have used a combination of Twist stitch pattern and Fair Isle knit for this. The ribbed twisted stitch pattern has the added advantage of stretchiness. And the Fair Isle not only gives a pop of colour, but also gives a double layer of coziness around the knee.
C2F: Cross 2 Front. Knit into front of 2nd stitch on needle, then knit first stitch, slipping both stitches off needle at the same time.
K1, P1. Repeat across the row.
P1, K1 across the back of the work.
Twist stitch Pattern:
Row1: P2, *C2F,K2, P2*. Repeat from * to *
Row2: K2, *P4, K2*. Repeat from * to *
Row3: P2, *K1, C2F, K1, P2*. Repeat from * to *
Row4 : K2, *P4, K2*. Repeat from * to *
Row 5: P2, *K2, C2F, P2*. Repeat from * to *
Row6 : K2, *P4, K2*. Repeat from * to *
Fair Isle Pattern
The pretty floral Fair Isle pattern used here is from the lovely Stranded Sweater Panel by #define design.
- Bottom circumference (at ankle)-18cm
- Top circumference (at the knee)-30 cm
- Length -52 cm approx
Knitting Instructions (make two)
- CO 61stitches.
- K in rib for 19 rows.
- Row 20 (Wrong side): P increasing 10 stitches evenly across the row. 71 stitches.
- Start Twist Stitch Pattern
- Continue in this pattern for the next 90 rows repeating the twist stitch pattern 15 times.
- Every 8th row: Taking care to keep the pattern correct, increase 1 stitch at both ends of the needle. Total increase 2 stitches every 8th row. Continue this increase until there are a total of 90 stitches on the needle. Then continue with the repeating Twist stitch pattern.
- Knit the 25 rows of the Fair Isle pattern.
- Knit 14 rows in rib.
- Bind off rib wise for extra stretchiness.
- Sew sides together.